At a Glance
- Access to all Level 1 text-based resources, audio recordings, videos, and assessment tools
- Purchase includes access to Hebrew First Steps at no additional charge
- Note: If you have already purchased Hebrew First Steps separately, please enroll in the Hebrew Reading 1 standalone course
- Access to the BibleMesh vocabulary learning system for all words from Jonah 1, 3–4 and Ruth
- 24/7 access for 12 months to complete the course at your own pace
- Take the course either as a Stand-Alone Course or with an Academic Support Bundle. Which one is right for me?
In Hebrew Reading 1 you will learn Hebrew grammar and vocabulary as you translate Ruth and the narrative sections of Jonah. Accessing our online course at your own convenience, you will read text-based resources, watch instructional videos, listen to audio recordings, use our cutting-edge vocabulary building application, and engage our extensive assessment tools. Using this combination of learning methods, you will master Level 1 grammatical concepts, learn all vocabulary that appears in Jonah 1, 3–4 and Ruth, and take an important step toward being able to confidently read the Old Testament as it was originally written.
This course is suitable for beginners who have completed the Hebrew First Steps course as well as seasoned students who are looking to refresh their knowledge of Hebrew. The Hebrew First Steps course, which is a required prerequisite for Hebrew Reading 1, is included with the purchase of Hebrew Reading 1 for no additional charge.
Example Timeframe: 10–12 hrs/wk: complete in 16 weeks
Which option is right for me?
Academic Support Bundle
|12-month access to the course content
|Vocabulary learning system
|Online technical support
|Online content support
|Permanent record of course grades & account info
|Grades transferable to academic institutions
|Eligible for cross-enrollment in partner institutions
|Ability to join groups or classes
|Administrative toolset for proctoring classes
|Eligible for BibleMesh Certificate Track
You will learn vocabulary words that appear in Jonah 1, 3–4 and Ruth (about 450 words total) as well as key information about the following grammar topics:
- Independent prepositions
- Inseparable prepositions
- Inseparable prepositions plus suffixes
- Prepositions כ and מן plus suffixes
- Definite article
- Particles of entreaty
- Definite direct object marker
- Nouns (masc, fem, segholate and irregular)
- Construct state (all forms)
- Nouns (ms, mp, fs, fp, irregular) and suffixes
- Adjectives (forms and uses)
- Comparative and superlative
- Demonstrative adjectives זה and אלה
- Overview of Hebrew verb system
- Wayyiqtol and w-qatalti
- Qal strong verb (all forms; meaning and morphology)
- Negative imperative
- Relative pronoun and relative clause
- Personal pronouns
- Verbless clause
BibleMesh offers Greek and Hebrew placement tests to determine whether students with previous exposure to Greek or Hebrew should enroll in Level 1 or Level 2. Placement test available here.
Dr. Timothy Edwards
Timothy Edwards taught Hebrew at the Oxford Centre for Hebrew and Jewish Studies and has lectured at the University of Oxford, University of Bristol, and various Bible schools in central Europe. He completed his graduate studies at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem and the University of Oxford. He is the author of Exegesis in the Targum of Psalms (Gorgias Press, 2007) amongst other publications. He is currently Fellow of Theology at New Saint Andrews in Moscow, Idaho.